FT-2000 Settings for PSK31 Operation

As I mentioned on the main page, I use the FT-2000 with a Signalink USB for PSK31 operation on 20 meters.  A while back I was looking at the HRD forum and found this helpful post about FT-2000 menu and front panel settings for optimizing PSK31 performance.  Thanks to Henk, PD5DP for posting this information.  Here’s his post:

Hi,

I have a Yaesu FT-2000 and here are my findings about my ideal settings for PSK31 and maybe all other digital modes.

First: set menu option one at the lowest rate. That’s 20. Menu option two has to be set to 0. This setting guarantees the most optimal performance for the receiving of the signals. There is no need to turn the AGC off in this case, because the FT-2000 AGC behaves very fast with this settings, because the low rate and mainly the hold setting which we set to 0 (menu option 2). Be sure that the AGC is set to FAST by pressing the AGC button. Look at the display for that. ATT = OFF, IPO = AMP2 and R.FLT = 6khz. or AUTO.

Second: PSE turn off all DSP except VRF. This means DNF, DNR, Contour and the NOTCH. All of this influence the quality of the signal received. VRF will keep unwanted signals from outside the bandpass ‘out the door’. This works fine and this way we do not have unwanted splatter and other signals created by the FT-2000 in our bandpass due to strong signals elsewhere on the HF.

Third: be sure that the IF is in the default position and set the WIDTH to the maximum. This ensures us to have to maximum passband to use for RX. This is almost a flat 4khz. Be aware that if you go to TX that the FT-2000 is capable to use this bandwith only to about 3khz. After that you have change the frequency a little up if you want to work that station.

Fourth: Set the power to maximum and if you TX listen to your own audio by turning the MONI know clockwise after you pressed the MONI button. Set the meterknob in the ALC reading position and increase the audio in DM780 till you have the disired power output without an ALC reading. A signal with an ALC reading will be a bad wide signal…so be aware of that. Also do not drive a full maximum power. It can costs your radio the finals. Not more than 50% of the maximum power will be fine. I use 25% all the time… this is 25 watts and I am not allowed to use more.

Fifth: I connected my radio to the soundcard through the packetconnector at the back of the radio. After that I had to make some adjustments in the radio menu. I increased menu item DATA OUT LVL to 100 (at the moment that is menu item 69) and menu J3E MIC SEL is changed to DATA (menu item 84 at this moment). DATA OUT LEVEL is the audio from the radio to the soundcard. J3E MIC SEL will route the TX audio from the soundcard via the PACKET connector in the radio. Some people set the radio in the PACKET mode, but there is no need to. In packet mode the passband width is smaller then in normal USB mode.

I hope this will help some people and maybe I forgot something. I am glad to hear any findings.

If you want to read his post at the forum, click here.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to FT-2000 Settings for PSK31 Operation

1. David says:

Your site looks good Bill! Thanks for the plug for Prater’s Mill.
    73 de WI4L

2. Henk [pd5dp] says:

Hi,

This is PD5DP. Just a little update about this message. I was not wrong about the 3Khz. TX bandwith, but people found a secret option to extend the TX bandwidth to 4Khz. without modifying the radio by hardware.

The message
    —————-
    I found this in the ESSB Yahoo forum and it seems to work:
    ———————————————————————-
    I just found out that the FT-2000 is capable of a transmit bandwidth of 50 Hz to 4000 Hz (4Khz). For those who want to take advantage of the full transmit features of the FT-2000 and for those who use external audio gear such as the W2IHY 8-Band EQ, W2IHY EQPlus or Behringer Audio Gear, you may want to experiment with this.

For those that are not interested in this ESSB audio, please be tolerant with the many FT-2000 users who are.

Here is the simple procedure::

1.While powering on the radio hold the CONT and DNR buttons in.
    2.Go to Menu 85 and turn the Sub VFO to the right until you see ttbf. (we don’t know what this stands for yet).
    3.Push the Menu button in and listen for the Beep and this saves the new setting.

The FT-2000/FT2000D is now in the 50 Hz to 4 Khz transmit bandwidth. To receive in this same bandwidth put the
    WIDTH knob fully clockwise and you will see all of the LED’s lit. Also put the SHIFT knob in the center. You can see thes changes on your DMU.
    ————————————————————————
    Have fun with it…

73 de Henk [pd5dp]

3. Hi ,
    I just got a new Yaesu Ft 2000 and a singalink to go with it seems I having trouble hooking it up using the packet on the back of the rig but will key but no audio come out am I missing something .Also have a cat cat hook to it to .

Jim KC1CS

4. Dave, G8FXM says:

James, you need to ensure you have the PKT button selected if your using the packet connector at the back of the rig to get auto to be transmitted. It caught me out too ;-)

5. Dave, G8FXM says:

I’m trying to run my FT2000D with N1MM and FLDIGI. I have configured it such that I get two entry windows in N1MM and two separate instances of FLDIGI running one monitoring VFO A the other VFO B. Problem I have is that the independently waterfalls are displaying the same audio i.e. from one VFO only. Maybe I should chekc how the cable is wired (presently using the Packet Connector at the rear) anyone got this kind of config working?

6. Louis Joe says:

Hi my friend
    I bought a Yaesu FT2000D transceiver and wish to operate psk-31 using Digipan, my computer is windows 7 professional. I previously used a Kenwood TS 870s , with a Bux Comm GLX rascal, and operated with the “Digipan” program. Now I am at a complete loss how to go about it. Would the GLX rascal work if rewired to the Yaesu plug? or do I need a new interface. I am a 78 retired guy and have sure had fun with PSK 31 since 2002.
    I could sure use some help with a “wiring diagram” maybe you could help.
    Thanks very much and 73

Louis Joe VE3BJR
    1029 Laurier Crescent
    Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
    N7S 1H3
    email:- ve3bjr@xcelco.on.ca

7. John stephenson says:

Have the FT2000d and the signalink usb rear 5 pin din socket have it set up but just getting gooble dee gook garbled rx nothing eledgible what havent I set up this is on a few softwares mixw digipan etc all the same

8. Steve KI6BGI says:

TTBF = total transmit bandwidth frequency.

9. Hi Steve:
    Thanks for the email, and a little push to get me going. Well I am a bit hesitant on toying around with the FT2000D. Before a lightning strike I used the Kenwood TS870s and sure had lots of fun on PSK31 with 25 Watts, I used the program Digipan. I sure wish I could you in my shack, you would probably get me on PSK31 real quick. Well I have been operating SSB on 20,17,15. Its not the same as PSK31 with 25 watts.
    I need info that the instructions read like 1,2,3 and this sequence I could probably follow. Anyway thanks again Steve, sure appreciate you thinking of me.
    Take care my friend – 73 for now